Welcome to Gun Culture Wars, a new blog dedicated to analyzing gun rights in America from a very under-represented perspective: a leftist, as opposed to liberal, perspective. These perspectives are different in many ways. There are underlying assumptions, observations, and historical trends that set these perspectives apart from each other.
I recognize that it is dangerous to declare that my particular analysis of gun rights and its related commentary is representative of "the left." I do not pretend to speak for all leftists, or to restrictively define the limits of leftist discussion on guns. What I will strive to do is to incorporate both the positions of prominent historical leftists as well as general leftist political principles into a discussion of guns in contemporary American culture and law.
The blog will consist of short essays, critiques, and discussions of noteworthy historical figures and events that illuminate the leftist perspective on gun rights and help draw distinctions between it and the more mainstream conservative and liberal positions.
As an introductory note, below are my previous writings on the topics of guns, posted on the General Blog over the past several years prior to the launch of this spin-off blog:
- There is no Right to Murder in the Second Amendment (June 19, 2016)
- Gun Rights Could Survive the Repeal of the Second Amendment (June 15, 2016)
- The Federal Gun Rights Floor (June 14, 2016)
- The Gun Ban Checklist (June 13, 2016)
- The State's Power to Prevent Private Negligence (May 12, 2014)
- The Most Dangerous Tool (April 15, 2014)
- Gun Laws Implicate More Than Just the Second amendment (March 25, 2014)